For EasyWay phases I and II, as pan‐European Projects, it was important to develop appropriate Communication strategy and tools to identify targets and objectives in order to highlight EasyWay result and achievements. To achieve this important objectives, it has been established a devoted EasyWay Communication Team (COMM) in charge of the promotion of the EW programme and its technical outputs and deliverables. The scope of the EasyWay Communication was to provide visibility to EasyWay outputs within EasyWay community and towards ‘external world’. During the EasyWay project phase II, the objective for communicating was: “Provide a solid image of an unified and cohesive European Platform”. In order to do so, it has been developed a specific Communication Plan and a set of tools to ideally cover a wide range of activities including dissemination, publicity, conferences, exhibitions and other project events such as the Annual Forum and the EW Workshops. Using the so defined tools, the EasyWay Communication Team has target the EW Community, the EC and TEN‐T EA and the relevant stakeholders.
The objective of the Communication Plan was to act on different communication levels:
• Enhance the EW brand
• Improve the dissemination of the EW Deployment Guidelines to stakeholders and EW partners
• Improve relationship and communication with stakeholders
• Improve internal communication
• Improve quality of the EasyWay deliverables and communication tools
• Inform and highlight exhaustively on EasyWay outcomes and achievements:
Then, it was vital to set up and develop media relations in order to relay information to both the general public and technical specialists. Thus, this action has enforced the EasyWay brand and the appearance of a really European cohesion. EW Communication Team also developed strong and productive relationships with the European and International Press, in particular with those magazines specialized in transportation and mobility issues. At the same time over recent years EasyWay has formed many strong and productive relationships with stakeholders on strategic, tactical and operational levels. In order to foster cooperation among both EW Partners and stakeholders through enhanced communication and collaboration, many different Workshops have been organized by the EW ESGs and EW TCT with the contribution and support of EW COMM.
The Communication Team provided inputs and terms of reference in order to draft press releases,preparing press kits, organizing workshop and conferences, ensuring media coverage.
Different tools have been developed using a common layout, thus contributing to creating a real EasyWay common identity. Hereafter a short summary of all communication tools used within EasyWay:
• EW ewMonthly The ewMonthly is the electronic monthly newsletter of EasyWay. It informs both external and internal parties about the latest news related to EW, providing links to useful documents. Anyone can subscribe using the tool on the homepage. This will allow them to receive in their inboxes the electronic newsletter of EasyWay. ewMonthly presents general information on the programme, workshops or events and their outputs, news from EuroRegions, etc….
In the current 2011 has been delivers by the COMM: 8 ewMonthly with more than 50 news. If you want to receive the ewMonthly, please register on the EasyWay homepage www.its-platform.eu.
• EW Newsletter The EasyWay Newsletter provides paper news on “the life” of the project, an update of relevant common initiatives,main information and achievements of the project. Normally two/three times a year the EasyWay Newsletter will be published (following the key events) and it will be disseminated in the most important events. Since now have been published 6 EasyWay Newsletter .
• EW brochures The EasyWay Brochure is a simple and effective tool for illustrating EasyWay activities. The Communication Team have performed a “new version” of the EW brochure that contains the main results achieved and also the main targets and strategy of the EasyWay Projects for the future. The purpose of the brochure is providing a synthesis of the main elements that are in the EasyWay program in a user friendly language.
• EW Deployment Guidelines brochures To ensure the promotion of the EasyWay Deployment Guidelines (DGs) to a wide audience and to enhance their attractiveness, two types of brochures have been produced by the Communication Team with the support of EasyWay Expert & Study Group leaders: • a booklet composed by a general introduction to the EasyWay DGs and a one-page synthesis of each guideline; • a set of documents presenting a full and technical version of each EW DGs (2010 edition validated by EW Steering Committee) and supporting actions. Copies of these communication documents has been disseminated for the first time at the 8th ITS Congress taking place in Lyon from 6 to 9 June. and at the 18th ITS World Congress in Orlando. Diffusion will be carried out throughout the year to the ITS community as at the 4th EasyWay Annual Forum in Rome and to the Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) during a dedicated “EasyWay DGs day” which will be organized the 24th January 2012 on the European Parliament in Bruxelles.
• EW Highlights EasyWay Highlights underline the technical outcomes of EasyWay. Based on the
deliverables of the Euro-Regions, the EW Highlights explain the partner achievements and common initiatives with simple words. They focus on the impacts of the different Projects implemented by EW Partners on traffic management,, congestion, road safety and on the results of European studies and the deployment of European services. All core services of EasyWay are covered by plenty of EW Highlights! Since the production of EW Highlights had become intense, not all highlights have been printed but all of them are available on the EW website.
• EW Video Flash presentation A Flash presentation has been produced for the several events, like Informal Council of Ministries of Transports, Annual Forum 2010, the Ew Annual Forum 2010 in Lisbon...etc. This Flash presentation give a general overview of the project activities and objectives in the topics of: Traveller Information Services; Traffic Management Services; Freight and Logistics Services; Connected ICT Infrastructure.
• Press and Media Relation EW Communication Team has also developed, during the last years, good and fruitful relationships with the European and International press, in particular with those magazines specialized in transportation and mobility issues. As a result of these contacts, the following articles and interviews have been published: • interview of Dean Herenda (EW Chairman 2010) on the Italian magazine “Le Strade”, a monthly publication focused on the road transportation developments at International level. • interview of Ronald Adams (EW Chairman 2011) on “I-Mobility newsletter”, the monthly publication issued by ERTICO, the European network of Intelligent Transport Systems and Services stakeholders based in Brussels. • EW article: ”The EasyWay across Europe - a fresh start for a continental traffic initiative” on the magazine TEC, an editorially independent publication for International traffic managers and planning professionals. • EW article: ”Traffic management to support sustainable road mobility :ITS harmonization in Europe in the frame of EasyWay project” on the magazine “Routes/Roads”, the official Bulletin of PIARC, the World Road Association. • EW article: ”The EasyWay project :a Simple solution” on the magazine “Thinking Highways”, a well-known International magazine specialized in the advanced transportation management sector.
Moreover, EW Communication Team has established, through its Italian partner within EW-ITHACA (AISCAT), a permanent cooperation with Euractiv.it, the Italian branch of the wider EU news web portal Euractiv.com. Euractiv is the most famous and known web information service, especially in Brussels, within the EU Institutions and most relevant Associations, NGOs, Think Tanks; Euractiv represents in fact a strong and reliable support for dissemination and communication services at EU level. The cooperation agreement set-up between AISCAT and Euractiv.it mainly focused on the dissemination of EW results, objectives and events.
The EW Communication Team has already undertaken further contacts in order to publish an
article on the bi-annual magazine “Tollways”, issued by IBTTA, the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association. IBTTA is the worldwide Association for the owners and operators of toll facilities and the businesses that serve tolling, whose mission is to advance toll financed transportation.
• EasyWay Award Within the the EasyWay1 partners have successfully implemented numerous ITS projects on the TEN-T Road Network. Initiatives that exceptionally comply with the EasyWay objectives have been honoured by the EasyWay partners with a special EasyWay Award.
The EasyWay Award was launched to reflect the achievements of the EasyWay partners, road authorities and road operators, in coordinating their Intelligent Transport Systems in the first Roads for tomorrow.
During EasyWay phase 2007-2009 four Award categories were devised to highlight the overall objectives and foundations of EasyWay: promoting efficient, innovative and interoperable ITS-solutions for TERN Management. EW awards have been allocated during the 2nd EasyWay Annual Forum of 2009 in Vienna. This initiative has then been reconducted at the end of EasyWay2, in the Annual Forum of 2012 in London.
• CD ROM on EasyWay 1 At the end of EasyWay 1, a CD ROM, gathering all the communication material has been prepared. It brings together the following documents: EasyWay Highlights, EasyWay Newsletters, EasyWay brochures, Flash presentation, EW Deployment Guidelines.
• The EasyWay Annual Forum was the highest communication tool where all of the EasyWay partners had participated and brought forth the results obtained throughout the years. The Forum was opend to local authorities, public and private stakeholders and all other interested parties involved in ITS services. The Annual Forum was a key tool for cross fertilization and dissemination. The event has provided rooms for discussion and debate around solutions that work as well as on major European achievements in ITS for road deployment, technology and ruling policies. The Forum was organized every year on a three‐day event combining Plenary sessions on horizontal and “policy” issues with Parallel Sessions on Technical and Strategic aspects. The COMM Team assisted the organization team for each annual forum.
During EW2 three Annual Forum was organized:
- 3th EW Annual Forum – Lisbon 16‐18 November 2010
- 4th EW Annual Forum – Rome 9‐11 November 2011
- 5th EW Annual Forum – London 20‐22 November 2012
The EasyWay achievements and results was also promoted and disseminated in the most important international events such as:
- ASECAP Days (2010‐2011‐2012)
- 8th ITS European Congress (Lyon 6‐9 June 2011)
- 18th ITS World Congress (Orlando 16‐20 October 2011)
- United Nations kick‐off debate on ITS for sustainable mobility (Geneva, 28 February 2012)
- Transport Research Arena (2010 and 2012)
- The informal Ministerial Meeting on Transport and Telecommunications (16‐17 July 2012, Nicosia)
- 19th ITS World Congress 2012 (Vienna 22‐26 October 2012)
It is then important to hightlight the event “EasyWay: making road mobility safer, greener and more efficient for the European citizen” hosted and organized at the European Parliament on 24 January 2012. The event witnessed the participation of several high level rappresentative from Euro‐parliament, European Commission, EC TEN T EA, ASECAP and CEDR. The meeting certainly proved to be an important occasion to promote, within an important European gathering, the results and objectives of the EasyWay Programme, and to illustrate the contents of the Programme as well as the role played by EasyWay partners in favour of road users in the field of ITS to the European Parliament.
Finally, one of the most important communication tool used to display and properly disseminate information about the programme was then EasyWay website.
By clicking on this link you will go to the page whith all the communication materials produced.